View Recipe Details Below
‘Cucur Udang‘ refers to fried prawn fritters. It is a common teatime snack in Singapore and Malaysia often sold by Malay street vendors. In Singapore with modernization having taken over the olden lifestyles, it is quite difficult to find authentic street stalls these days but you’ll be sure to find one aplenty in Malaysia. The recipe I have is my beautiful mother’s own creation. I personally prefer hers and that could be because I am so used to the taste and when I try any other variation of it, I just do not feel satisfied. At the end of the day, nothing beats the feeling of eating something made with love from a mother. =) When my sisters and I were in school, she used to make them for us on Sunday evenings as treats. We used to look forward to Sundays and wait impatiently for the clock to strike 5 in the evening. That’s when she makes them along with traditional Indian chai tea. Wonderful combination! So try this Cucur Udang recipe and I hope you will like it too!
- Curry Leaves - 1 Stalk chopped finely (the LEAVES ONLY)
- Green Chilli - 1 chopped finely
- Medium sized brown onion - 1 chopped finely
- Chilli Padi - 1chopped finely
- Egg - 1 beaten well
- Peeled Prawns - 80 gm, cut into small pieces
- Plain Flour - 100 gm
- Corn Flour - 1 tbsp
- Bi-carbonate Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric - A pinch
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or add according to taste
- Water - 1/3 cup
- Mix the flours, bi-carbonate soda, turmeric, salt and water together to form a thick batter. Mixture should not be watery and runny.
- Add the beaten egg and stir until its well-combined with the mixture.
- Throw in all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick saucepan with cooking oil. You do have to add quite a bit as it is usually deep fried.
- Ladle a spoonful (I use a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop) of the cucur udang mixture and drop it into the oil for frying. You can do 5 pieces at a time. There is enough room for the cucur udang to expand and cook well.
- Let the cucur udang to cook for 2-3 minutes. Once the colour changes to golden brown, you can remove it and place it on a plate to cool .
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Cucur Udang ready to be dished out with chilli or tomato sauce =)